Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Presentation

So of course I was picked on Thursday to do my presentation.  And of course, my nerves got the best of me.  I actually felt really prepared beforehand, and had gone over the presentation a few times on my own. When I did it in front of the class though, I rushed and missed many points that were important.  I know I could have done better than how i did, but of course i cannot go back now, all i can do is ask for some advice.  This was my first presentation as a college student, so how do any of you think i can improve presenting in front of groups?
Also, I wanted to add some points here about Pullman City that i completely left out:
- total cost of town was $5 million
- Pullman tried to help workmen, but the majority of how he did things was for his own benefit
- totaled about 4,000 acres of land, but only a small portion of that was actually used for housing and manufacturing buildings
- Solon Beman and Nathan Barrett were head planners and architects
- Construction was done by Pullman employees
- each home provided with: gas, water, sanitary facilities, and personal green space. also, maintenance and garbage pickup was provided with the rent
- Pullman believed that the improvement of working class was key to social order
- in order to strive, the employees would have to "work hard, refrain from alcohol"
- housing was in a hierarchical system
- many workers resented their inability to buy their own homes, the absence of saloons, and the single generic church
- after Pullman's death, the company was required to sell off the town and it was annexed to Chicago, and buildings were then sold off to individuals owners

Gee, I should really look at my notecards next time!
Also, here's the link to video i tried to show

i've really been enjoying everyone's presentations! and i can't wait to see the rest of them!
good luck to the rest of you!



No comments:

Post a Comment